Monday, July 5, 2021

My Neighbour, My Reader

Here is my neighbour Merrilyn McElderry, in the middle, and her granddaughter. I took this selfie two days ago, June 3, in Edina, Minnesota. A retired teacher, Merrilyn is an avid reader of my works. She adores my writings and eagerly follows my storytelling and other presentations. When she read my book, Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences, she wrote stimulating notes comparing African culture with Native American culture. She could do this easily, having worked in a Chippewa reservation for 15 years. What a blessing it is to have people like her in my corner.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Merri is a wonderful, dear person. We are friends from afar, even though I have never actually met here.

Mbele said...

Thanks for sharing your story, threecollie. Merri is special.