Monday, October 3, 2022

A Meeting With My Readers


On October 1, 2022, in Burnsville, Minnesota, I met with two of my readers: Sarah B. Kamsin from Sudan, and Brighid McCarthy from the USA. Sarah had organized the meeting. She and I had known each other since July, 2019, when she met me at a book festival in Blaine, Minnesota and acquired my book Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences

Later, Sarah published a book of her poems, Vita, Babel, Cauliflower," which I read and reviewed. You can see a section of my review on Amazon. Sarah has a talent as a composer of poems in English.

From our conversation two days ago, I learned that after reading my book, Sarah had started telling her long time friend Brighid about me and my book. As a result, Brighid was very happy to meet me.  She had a copy of the book, bearing much underlining on many pages, proof that she has been reading it with much reflection. I was impressed by her recollection of specific details.

We talked for about three hours, mostly about cultural differences mentioned in the book. We also talked about the need for us to collaborate in dealing with needs of certain areas of East Africa, such as water and education. We were pleased to realize that we have already been doing such work. Brighid, for example, has been doing things in Arusha. We are inspired to do more.

No comments: