Thursday, August 5, 2021

A Reader Has Passed Away


Today, August 5, I decided to look at a post I wrote some years ago, "Book Reviewed in 'The Zumbro Current'," which I had published on my blog. The post featured a review of my book, Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences. I then decided to look for information about the reviewer, only to discover that he passed away several months ago, from this obituary

I am saddened, especially because I never got to see him, even though he lived only about thirty miles away. Our connection is more than that of a writer and his reader; as the obituary says, Duane studied at St. Olaf College, where I teach, and he served on its Board of Regents. May he rest in Eternal Peace.

Here is the review he wrote:

Book Review: Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences

The Abner Haugen Library at Zumbro Lutheran Church has a copy of this extremely helpful book on cultural differences between Americans and Africans. It is written by Joseph L. Mbele, a Tanzanian scholar who currently is a professor of English at St. Olaf College. Anyone traveling to another country or continent would find this short book well worth reading. A few of the topics covered are: eye contact, personal space, gender issues, gifts, how “time flies, but not in Africa.” Both my wife Ann and I recommend this 98-page book.

-Duane Charles Hoven. "The Zumbro Current," October 2014, p. 7.

No comments: