Monday, February 25, 2013

A Book Talk in Faribault, Minnesota, February 26

A few weeks ago, I got an invitation to speak in Mankato, to a group of students preparing to go on a study abroad program in South Africa. The focus of my talk was to be what I say in my Africans and Americans book. The invitation came from Scott Fee and Becky Davis who teach at the Minnesota State University Mankato and South Central College respectively.

I will be speaking at the South Central College in Faribault, Minnesota, from 10:00am. Students in Mankato will follow my talk via a television connection.

Some years ago, Scott took a group of students on a similar trip to South Africa and he invited me to speak to them before they traveled. My talk then was also on cultural differences as expressed in the Africans and Americans book. I am, as always, happy to be able to share my perspective on this important topic.

2 comments:

Goodman Manyanya Phiri said...

Mmmmm! Prospects for a mouth-watering talk there! You must be enjoying every bit of it, Prof; talking about your land, Africa. And I am glad the students are said to be coming to South Africa and yet a Tanzanian is breaking the ice for them BECAUSE AFRICA HAS GOT ONE CULTURE FROM CAPE TO CAIRO where we only differ in traditions which traditions still remain bound by our ubuntu/utu.

Mbele said...

I have just returned from Faribault, a city that is about half an hour away from where I am teaching. I enjoyed speaking to the students and two professors. We were together for about an hour and a half.

Indeed, it is a privilege being able to talk about African culture, precisely, as you say, because we have a great deal in common, despite our differences. I focus on the commonalities, which, indeed, distinguish African from American culture. Despite differences among them, Americans also have a groundwork of common cultural values.

I am happy my visit went the way it did.