Saturday, October 3, 2009

Awaiting the 2009 Twin Cities Book Festival

I cannot say my life lacks action and excitement. I seem to be occupied all my waking hours--reading, teaching, writing and preparing for appearances at various events and venues. If I don't have some such event around the corner, it surely is some days or weeks ahead, or on the horizon. There is no such thing as boredom in my life.

For the coming seven days, I will be busy teaching, of course, but something else will be on my mind--the 2009 Twin Cities Book Festival. I have participated in this annual Festival several times in the past, but each time is a new experience. I got an email from the organizers today, and was pleased to see Africonexion, the label under which I do my consulting work, listed among the exhibitors.

At the Twin Cities Book Festival, as at other such book events, I get to meet many new people--authors, publishers, and readers--but I also meet some familiar faces, devotees of the Festival. Initially, I had only two titles published: Matengo Folktales and Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences, but now I have added Notes on Achebe's Things Fall Apart. I also have a chapbook on the global experience of Africans and the Black Diaspora. These, together with a few newspaper articles, make my table quite a feast for the eyes and, hopefully, the mind.

In the past, I have written blog entries after the events. Today I wanted to write about an impending event. It is a long day of talking with people, but time seems to fly, and far from being an ordeal, the experience is both reinvigorating and memorable. I am looking forward to it.

No comments: